Supporting Programme 2018
Guided tour in the Pellerhof
Pellerhof 1887, Zustand bis 1943
The Nuremberg Pellerhaus was until 1945 the most important mansion of the German Renaissance, its arcade courtyard the most beautiful of its kind. After the war, the ruin was secured, to a small extent rebuilt.
The association Altstadtfreunde Nürnberg has been rebuilding the courtyard since 2009 with meticulous documentation from the 1930s with all of its ornaments, making it the most sophisticated reconstruction of a sandstone building in Bavaria for over 50 years.
The company GS Schenk shows one of the measuring stones at their stand and keeps informational material ready.
The noblest house of a once rich city!
Always the same with the building authorities! Somebody wants to build something really modern, spend a lot of money and provide craftsmen with wages and bread. The praiseworthy Council has something against it. The façade design does not fit into the neighborhood, the number of storeys is too high, the roof shape is not right and eventually the neighbors refuse their approval. But after all, Martin Peller is not only the richest Nuremberg, but probably even the richest German ever. And so, somehow, in the year of salvation in 1602, he succeeded in laying the foundation stone on a noble Egidienplatz in Nuremberg to a house that did not have its own north of the Alps.
A modern renaissance façade of the finest was built up to 1609 and a courtyard of indescribable splendor in a style that future generations should call "Nürnberger Renaissanc": inspired by Italy but without neglecting the Gothic past of Nuremberg.
What was left of it in 1945 is described in a few words: from the ground floor the outer walls, a few arched arches from the first and second floor through which the sky looks and the courtyard full of rubble.
In 1957, the entrance hall of the front building with its gothic ribbed vault was rebuilt and put on a then award-winning modern house. The ruins of the court were conserved more or less effectively and hoped for a future generation, which will take care of the barren remains.
This hoped-for future generation is now at work. The city council approved the reconstruction in 2006 on the condition that "the city does not cost anything". Understandable: The city has little money. But hardly anyone dared to believe that the citizens would tackle this noble building without any municipal aid.
The technical problems were huge at first. First, after the war, a concrete floor poured over the arcade of the ground floor had to be drilled out and sawed, because its surface was twenty centimeters too high. Now, a groined vault covers the ground floor again, fountain and staircase are new, year by year grew the Arkadenbögen the first and second floor, grew Chörlein and "Welsche Hauben". Everything is handmade, hardly a stone is like the other, because the builder around 1600 had to conceal and overcome the asymmetrical shape of the property. The magnificent facade on the northern narrow side with fruit garlands and obelisks is now completed, the marvelous visitor shows again the old splendor. Of course, there is still a lot to do: windows, doors, ceilings, floors ....
Rich Peller donated the city an architectural work of art in the 17th century - out of vanity. The old town friends are proud to show it to the citizens and guests in new splendor.